[MEncoder-users] Normalizing with MENcoder

Lobster lobo at lobs.sytes.net
Mon Apr 11 07:03:03 CEST 2011

On 11/04/2011 4:51 p.m., Charles Taylor wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> I am looking to normalize all my video's using MENcoder, how do I go
> about this?
> Any tips or hints

If you had looked in the man page you would find under the audio filters
one called volnorm,
however it does act more as a compressor than a "normalizer" (I.E it
raises levels and lowers
them on the fly to try to keep a constant volume, this can lead to
"breathing" with music).

At this stage the only way I have found to do a true normalization with
MEncoder is to output
a temp wav file from MPlayer, run it through sox to  get the details of
peak and RMS audio levels
and then run mencoder with the appropriate setting on the volume audio
filter to get the audio
set to the levels I want.