[MEncoder-users] mencoder: mp2->mp4 autoaspect question

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Sep 25 20:57:30 CEST 2010

Toerless Eckert <Toerless.Eckert <at> Informatik.Uni-Erlangen.de> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 03:27:20PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > > ffmpeg -i 001.mpg -vcodec mpeg4  -b 1500k 001.avi
> >
> > Works fine with a not-too-ancient version (only latest svn is supported,
> > the same is true for MPlayer/MEncoder).
>
> Unfortunately i couldn't get it to work, not even with the latest SVN.
> I'd really appreciate if you could tell me anything more about the
> parameters you used to test. I am also of course not 100% sure that
> the players i use support to switch the aspect ratio on an mpeg4 stream
> (vlc, mplayer with ffmpeg).

I transcoded an ORF sample - 16/9 -> 4/3 (Monk) - with the command line you
provided, and MPlayer (latest svn) correctly played the transcoded sample
(switching aspect ratio at the right time with both -demuxer lavf and avi and
-vc ffodivx and ffodivxvdpau).

Since my recording is a transport stream and yours a program stream, I
transcoded my sample to mpeg and that one to avi and both samples still switched
aspect ratio correctly with MPlayer (and vlc and ffplay).

Could you confirm that the aspect ratio switch correctly works with your
original sample with MPlayer (or am I misunderstanding your problem)?
While I see nothing wrong with your FFmpeg configure line, consider just using
./configure && make.

Carl Eugen