[MEncoder-users] mencoder: mp2->mp4 autoaspect question

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Sep 22 17:27:20 CEST 2010

Toerless Eckert <Toerless.Eckert <at> Informatik.Uni-Erlangen.de> writes:

> I tried both mp4 and avi output file and both didn't work:
>
> ffmpeg -i 001.mpg -vcodec mpeg4  -b 1500k 001.avi

Works fine with a not-too-ancient version (only latest svn is supported, the
same is true for MPlayer/MEncoder).

> ffmpeg -i 001.mpg -vcodec mpeg4  -b 1500k 001.mp4

Does not work...

[...]

> > > If not, how difficult would it to add this to mencoder ?
> >
> > Please note that mencoder is not actively maintained and that you should use
> > ffmpeg for most transcoding.
>
> If ffmpeg is supported it should have a better man page.

The project maintainer does not disagree;-)
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/117633/focus=117728

> Took me eternities to figure out there's something like '-flags +ildct+ilme'.

But you qualified by finding them;-)
Note that I would advise you to de-interlace instead - the patch for yadif in
FFmpeg is ready, but not yet committed ;-(

Carl Eugen