[MEncoder-users] x264 encoding, avidemux error

Ansgar Radermacher ansgar.radermacher at cea.fr
Mon Oct 25 12:58:44 CEST 2010

Hello,

after an upgrade of my linux distribution (OpenSUSE 11.1=>11.3) I have
problems cutting files that I encoded with x264 using mencoder.
In Avidemux, I get "[lavc] error in FFMP43/mpeg4!: got picture". The
encoded file can still be played but the error causes inconsistent
positioning, i.e. avidemux shows me different frames when I navigate to
the same frame number from different source positions. The error does
not happen with files I encoded earlier with the same options and the
same kind of input.

The underlying libx264 version is 107, libavcodec is 52.72, mencoder is
"MPlayer dev-SVN-r30099-4.5-openSUSE Linux 11.3"

I use the following command line for encoding (the input file is an
MPEG2 file)
mencoder -o <outfile> -oac copy -ovc x264 -x264encopts crf=23:threads=1
<infile>

An additional issue is that I get the warning "non-strictly-monotonic
PTS" during encoding with libx264 v1.07 . I don't think it's a hint that
the input file is broken, since I get this warning for all my mpeg
files. I don't get it with older versions of libx264 (tried 106 and 98).

[Btw: the mencoder documentation is apparently not in sync with x264
since it says that 1 thread is the default, but without the option, x264
uses as many threads as there are CPU cores, i.e. the default is now
"auto". I limited the number of threads to one since the result is
apparently different and I wanted to exclude that this is the source of
the problem].

Sorry for posting this eventually to the wrong forum, but I'm really not
sure whether this is a problem of the wrapping mencoder (perhaps a
missing encoding parameter), x264 (which does something wrong during
encoding) or lavc (no support for an advanced encoding variant?).

Any ideas?

Ansgar