[MEncoder-users] ATSC closed captioning

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Nov 29 23:09:23 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 01:29:13PM -0800, Scott W. Larson wrote:

> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> >Because, as I said (though I did not mention this reason) it isn't
> >finished yet.
>
> OK, do you have any suggestions on where I should look for the bug? For example I don't see how user data that is passed between the Sequence header code and the GOP start code will be turned into a frame by mplayer since it's not associated with a displayable frame.

The sequence header belongs to the following frame, that is the only
interpretation that makes sense, otherwise you would never have
any keyframes (i.e. frames that can be decoded on their own,
without any additional data).

> Generally the user data here is something that applies to all pictures in the GOP (this is where the BBC and Fox in the U.S. pass the AFD) but I have found caption data here sometimes.

Honestly I don't think it's justified to assume that they know what
they are doing or there is any sense to it at all.

> Another problem I'm having is if I let mplayer display captions for two hours or so, eventually it starts printing "Too many buffered pts" continuously and the video becomes choppy. Skipping backward and forward fixes it.

Do you have -framedrop enabled?