[MEncoder-users] help with "recreating indexes"

Oliver Lu o.lu at verizon.net
Fri Nov 19 20:23:43 CET 2010

I realize this (may be) a very simple question/problem but I have a movie it's an .avi file but it has a subtitle file (.srt) after about an hour the subtitles no longer appear, also I notice the time is no longer correct (it starts over again at zero).

As per someone's suggestion about it being two files joined together (concatenated) I tried to "recreate the index" using mencoder 0.7.7 by selecting the file, going into the terminal and pasting the command

mencoder input.avi -idx -ovc copy -oac copy -o output.avi

however I receive the response -bash: mencoder: command not found

(odd because i tried it yesterday and got a message about the audio codec, i forget what it said exactly however).

Am I doing this correctly? I've never used mencoder before, I'm generally unfamiliar with CLI

btw I'm on a Mac, but I have the same movie file on my hp notebook, if there's an easier way to do via Windows 7. I no longer have access to the original movie file, however.

thanks to anyone who can help