[MEncoder-users] How to get ".mp3" audio rather than "mp4a" audio?

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 15 17:54:25 CET 2010

On 11/15/2010 06:55 AM, Sheppard, Mark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm maintaining a system which converts videos into a format for
> playing back via a Flash player.  The videos it generates should use
> a .mp4 container with H.264 video and .mp3 audio inside.  It was
> working, but then I upgraded the software on the server, including
> mencoder.  It's now using 2:1.0~rc4~try1.dsfg1-1ubuntu1+medibuntu1
> from http://www.medibuntu.org/.
>
> Since the upgrade the videos produced are silent when played in the
> flash player, but work fine when played in VLC.  Looking at the video
> with mp4dump (from
> http://mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net/documentation/encoding.htm) the files
> produced before the upgrade have this:

<snip>

> So it looks like the audio produced is now mp4a rather than .mp3.
> I've been trying to work out how to force the old behaviour of
> producing .mp3 audio, but I've not had any success.  The mencoder man
> page does mention the "-fafmttag 0x55", but that didn't help :-(.
> Does anyone know what I need to put on the command line to get .mp3?

As Bernd Butscheidt mentioned, '-oac mp3lame' would be the most likely
answer. However, there's one critical piece of information which you
left out, which should always be included in just about any problem
report or help request.

What's the command line you're currently using?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.