[MEncoder-users] ATSC closed captioning

Scott W. Larson scowl at wballphotos.com
Tue Nov 9 18:24:47 CET 2010

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>We have three samples, two showed only half the characters, one showed
>a mixture of two languages. All are working now, but it could of course
>have broken something...

Did you find an ATSC samples to test with?

This shows that the 'CC' subtitles on DVDs are different from ATSC 'GA94' captions. Apparently the DVD captions can be displayed in frame arrival order and are just straight EIA-608 data. ATSC captions arrive out of order and need to be displayed according to the pts of the frames they came with otherwise they'll appear to be random text (generally a frame has only two to four characters of a caption).

Also since ATSC captions are a mixture of CEA-608 and CEA-708 formats, you have to extract the format you want to display.