[MEncoder-users] ATSC closed captioning

David Liontooth lionteeth at cogweb.net
Mon Nov 8 15:49:59 CET 2010

On 11/07/2010 09:14 PM, Scott W. Larson wrote:
> I've attached the five year old patch in case anyone is interested in
> looking into this or wants to encourage me to make a more maintainable
> version.
The fact that nobody else has stepped forward in the last five years to
fill this hole suggests Scott Larson's hard work is in fact very
valuable, and at least the core of the patch should be integrated -- at
a minimum, enough for a working version that others can build on. He
spent countless hours reverse engineering the code for everyone's
benefit, and is the only one to have done this for the project. US (and
I believe Canadian) broadcast is now entirely ATSC, so this affects
anyone using mplayer for television in North America.

Since mplayer/mencoder is used by people who want more control (power to
the people), it would be great to have the ability to output the text to
file, such as srt.

Dave