[MEncoder-users] ATSC closed captioning

David Liontooth lionteeth at cogweb.net
Mon Nov 8 05:27:22 CET 2010

Thanks!

On 11/07/2010 01:16 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 11:24:38AM -0800, Scott W. Larson wrote:
>> The biggest problem is that the caption data arrives with the frames
>> associated with the captions. That means they'll be out of order as they
>> arrive so you have to put them back in order. My code stored them in a
>> linked list in pts order and sent them to the existing EIA-608 caption
>> code when the frames were displayed.
Hi Scott, I'm happy to see you're here still. Functionality that is not
quite perfect would surely be better than nothing?
> In the long-term it would probably be best if libavcodec could extract
> the user data and return it in an AVFrame along with the decoded image.

As part of the image? Or separately, so that it could optionally be
redirected to a separate file? I'm thinking of the case where file is
recorded, and someone later wants no captions, or a different language,
or wants to transcode first. Having the option to create a text file
would be great; mplayer of course supports .srt.

Anyway, I'm having no luck with this:

mencoder -cache 2048 dvb://CBS-HD -ovc copy -oac copy -o "$(date
+%F_%H%M)-CBS-HD-men-cc.mpeg" -subcc -endpos 15

MPlayer SVN-r31918

TS file format detected.
VIDEO MPEG2(pid=49) AUDIO A52(pid=52) NO SUBS (yet)!  PROGRAM N. 0
VIDEO:  MPEG2  1920x1080  (aspect 3)  29.970 fps  16578.0 kbps (2072.2
kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:29  fourcc:0x10000002  size:1920x1080  fps:29.970  ftime:=0.0334

Is this supposed to work? Or only when watching live? I'm currently
running remotely, but am happy to test.

zvbi-atsc-cc does a good job extracting ATSC closed captions, though
there appears to be a bug writing them to file. And of course it ties up
the device, so you can't record the video.

Dave