[MEncoder-users] ATSC closed captioning

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Nov 7 19:02:08 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 09:52:01AM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
> What is the current status of ATSC closed captioning?
>
> Way back in 2005, Scott Larsen wrote a patch to support the EIA-608
> stream still present in the digital signal; was this ever merged? Is
> the patch still available?

I think it "works" with -subcc, I remember getting some results
for a digital TV sample.
However, it works really badly: you cannot select which language
to display if multiple are available, and you do get missing
or broken subs regularly.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to match any specification
up with the data that is actually in those streams, and I
have neither enough samples nor do I care enough to reverse-engineer
the format.