[MEncoder-users] h264/aac segfaults on encode, part of encoding lost when reencode to matroska or MP4

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 03:43:54 CET 2010

On 11/2/2010 9:16 PM, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> myBox  # mencoder --version
> MEncoder SVN-r30554-4.3.4
It's not ancient, but it is old. I always built MEncoder/MPlayer (and
libx264) from source tarballs
(http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/mplayer-export-snapshot.tar.bz2)
every few days when I was running a Linux box. AFAIK, very few (if any)
distros keep up-to-date versions of MPlayer outside of their
testing/experimental/bleeding edge repositories. Also, it has been my
experience that when dealing with MPEG-TS as input, using -demuxer lavf
is a must. It probably won't prevent a segfault, but everything will run
much more smoothly.

As for the video being incomplete when muxed to Matroska or MP4, don't
expect any muxer to work well with broken streams (which is what an
encoder typically produces if it crashes). Garbage in, garbage out.