[MEncoder-users] How to repackage MP4 files to avi container?

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 17:58:23 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Bernd Butscheidt <bbutscheidt at yahoo.de> wrote:

> ________________________________
>
> Von: Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
> 15. Mai 2010, 14:53:29 Uhr
>
> ... They have the same man page because they both share
> the same demuxers, muxers, filters, etc. Whatever mplayer can play,
> mencoder can encode it
>
> But as far as I am informed this is right for encoding, but for muxing?
>
> Isn't it still impossible to mux the encoded audio/vidio into other container but avi because -lavf muxing is still broken?

For muxing, the most reliable container for mencoder are both AVI and
MPEG PS (-of mpeg). You can get valid files with -of lavf in some
cases but not always. If you don't use b-frames for encoding (or the
file you're trying to remux with mencoder doesn't have b-frames) you
can create valid files with -of lavf. Otherwise, stay away from it and
use 3rd party tools