[MEncoder-users] How to repackage MP4 files to avi container?

Miroslav Rovis m.rovis at inet.hr
Fri May 14 23:18:32 CEST 2010

Hi!
There was a useful discussion on joining avi files with x264 streams a
few days ago.
And it is true that sync can often best be gotten back with the use of
MP4Box, as Grozdan explained.
avimerge often does the work faster, and equally well, but MP4Box can
fix the sync better through "MP4Box -cat ..." and "MP4Box -splitx
..."  etc...
But MP4 it is not the best of formats, and I thought a plain avi
container, where there's no subtitles and such, would be the better
option.
Starting with file_PART1.avi and file_PART2.avi, upon trials and
errors few or many, eventually there is the resulting file_ALL.aac and
file_ALL.h264 that can be muxed into good-synced file_ALL.mp4.
But I'd rather have a good-synced file_ALL.avi with that content.
This I can do:
mencoder  -ovc copy file.h264  -o file_fromMP4.avi
(fine avi, but only video)
But this:
mencoder  -audiofile file.aac  -oac copy -ovc copy file.h264  -o file.avi
errors out.
Also this (with the file_fromMP4.avi from the above step):
mencoder  -audiofile file.aac  -oac copy  -ovc copy file_fromMP4.avi
- -o file.avi
errors out. Like this:

success: format: 0  data: 0x0 -
0xad82b08
Seek
failed

libavformat file format
detected.

[h264 @ 0x2ca7c30]max_analyze_duration
reached
[lavf] Video stream found, -vid
0
VIDEO:  [H264]  704x576  0bpp  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0
kbyte/s)
Seek
failed

libavformat file format
detected.

[aac @ 0x2cb34a0]max_analyze_duration
reached
[lavf] Audio stream found, -aid
0
[V] filefmt:65536  fourcc:0x34363248  size:704x576  fps:25.000
ftime:=0.0400
videocodec: framecopy (704x576 0bpp
fourcc=34363248)
Audio format 0x4134504d is incompatible with '-oac copy', please try
'-oac pcm' instead or use '-fafmttag' to override
it.

Afterwards, neither -oac pcm, nor -fafmttag 80 (pretending it was mp3)
gave anything right...

I would really like to be able to repackage mp4 files when I need to,
and reencoding them through mkv2avi.py which I found somewhere on the
net, and which reencodes the audio to mp3, would possibly not be full
success... Or am I missing something in my understanding of the issue?
Anyone knows more about this?

Miro