[MEncoder-users] is this a good workflow?

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Mon May 10 16:53:24 CEST 2010

On Monday 10 May 2010 10:39:26 Rick C. wrote:
> 1.  extract the audio from original file:  mencoder original_file.mpg -of
> rawaudio -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -o audio.mp3
> 2.  will convert audio.mp3 to audio.m4a outside of mencoder to avoid using
> libfaac

Hi, I can tell you about the first two steps. You are loosing quality by
converting from whatever source the audio is to mp3 and later to aac.  Skip
the mp3 part by converting to PCM (raw audio) and then convert to your final
destination format (AAC).  To convert to PCM (creating a wave file) do this:

mplayer original_file.mpg -ao pcm:fast:file=output.wav -vo null

Then convert output.wav to AAC...

HTH,
Jorge