[MEncoder-users] Audio sync problems with HDV footage while performing an inverse telecine

Eric Wescott wescotte at gmail.com
Mon May 3 08:22:03 CEST 2010

 I have about ~5,000 HDV files recorded using an Canon HV30 Camera set to
it's HD 24F mode. In order to get a proper 24P video file you need to
perform a inverse telecine. I'm using the following method to create huffyuv
files which I then transcode again into Apple ProRes for use in Final Cut
Pro. The page
http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/07/13/canon-hv20-24p-pulldown/ lists
several methods to perform the inverse telecine process but mencoder seems
to be the only one to do it correctly for me. JES-Deinterlacer produces some
strange video artifacts..

Anyway, I'm having some issues where some of the files have audio sync
issues. Sometimes it's just off by a constant rate like and I just shift it
in Final Cut and it's fine. Other times the file starts in sync and then
gradually looses sync. I'd say about 10-20% of the files have audio sync
problems. Here is my current process

mencoder  INPUT.m2t -noskip -fps 30000/1001 -vf
pullup,softskip,harddup,scale=1920:1080 -ofps 24000/1001 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=ffvhuff:autoaspect -oac pcm -o OUTPUT.avi

ALSO, If I perform a

mencoder INPUT.m2t -ovc copy -oac copy OUTPUT.mpeg

and then transcode to huffy will produce different results and sometimes
produce a correct final output.

I've tried the most recent builds and a few older ones.. I seem to have the
same results. I originally followed the guide at

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Eric Wescott