[MEncoder-users] Encoded file doesn't sync with iPhone [SOLVED]

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 20:01:54 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Laine Lee <llee040 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 3/17/10 6:08 AM, "Grozdan" <neutrino8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This may be your problem, using the lavf muxer instead of mp4box,
>> which the above options do not cause problems in quicktime/iphone/ipod
>> (AFAIK) when mp4box is used to mux (along with the -ipod switch)
>
> OK, but would I rather use an additional movie-building step and another
> application, or just add "global_header" to the x264 option string and be
> sure there are no adjacent colons? Either way works, I guess.

For this particular setup (encoding to baseline for ipod/iphone) the
lavf muxer + global_headers will do just fine, but if you want to go
higher than baseline (which then can include bframes) I strongly
advise to avoid the lavf muxer when bframes are involved. Encoding
either to raw output or an AVI and then using mp4box/mp4creator is the
most reliable way in this situation. If you choose mp4box, then
global_headers is not a requirement if you use switches such as -ipod
in mp4box

of course, you can just use ffmpeg instead and avoid a step, but it's
your choice. I prefer mencoder with its nice filters over "dumb"
ffmpeg, even though the former is pretty broken for anything but AVI,
raw and MPEG2 PS output