[MEncoder-users] Encoded file doesn't sync with iPhone

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 12:46:51 CET 2010

2010/3/15 Jörgen Isaksson <jogga at me.com>

> On 6 mar 2010, at 13.41, Grozdan wrote:
>
> > 2010/3/6 Jörgen Isaksson <jogga at me.com>
> >
> >> Hi all mencoder wizards,
> >>
> >> This is my first post on the list, so please be gentle with me.
> >>
> >> I have downloaded and compiled mencoder and x264 successfully on my mac
> >> with 10.6.
> >>
> >> After some long research hours on the net I found some mencoder settings
> >> that the authors claimed to work with the iPhone. This is the
> commandline I
> >> used.
> >>
> >> mencoder input.mov -o output.m4v -vf dsize=480:320:2,scale=-8:-8,harddup
> >> -of lavf -lavfopts format=ipod -alang en -sws 2 -oac faac -faacopts
> >> br=128:mpeg=4:object=2:raw -srate 44100 -ovc x264 -x264encopts
> >>
> bitrate=800:nocabac:level_idc=30:bframes=0:global_header:threads=2:subq=5:frameref=6:partitions=all:trellis=1:chroma_me:me=umh
> >>
> >> The file encodes without problem and plays just fine on the desktop and
> in
> >> iTunes, but it doesn't sync with the iPhone?t
> >>
> >> Have I done something wrong here? My understanding was that the
> >> "format=ipod" would add the needed atom for the movie to sync with the
> >> iPhone.
> >>

> > Use MP4Box (from gpac) for muxing. Lavf in mencoder is broken
>
> I still can't get the mencoder encoded files to sync with my iPhone.
> Encoding works just great, but the file wont sync.
>
> Can you give me an example on how to use MP4Box for muxing. I'm not sure
> how to continue.

Encode as usual to an AVI with mencoder (make sure you add -vf harddup to
your video filters chain)

After done, use MP4Box to dump the video and audio, then mux it together

MP4Box -aviraw video file.avi
MP4Box -aviraw audio file.avi

if your audio is AAC, you have to rename the dumped MP4Box audio file to
have the .aac extension or else, MP4Box won't accept files with the .raw
extension. Then, mux it together like this

MP4Box -fps <fps-of-video> -add video.h264 -add audio.aac -ipod -mpeg4 -new
output.mp4