[MEncoder-users] Creating Youtube-compliant H.264 content

Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 29 13:00:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have been trying to capture some old VHS videos with a bt8x8-based
analog capture card which worked nicely so far. However, when I tried
to upload the video, Youtube's upload script complaint that the video
I have uploaded could not be converted. I used the following command
line to capture and encode with libx264 (the video has no sound, thats
why I disabled it):

mencoder -v -tv \
driver=v4l2:input=2:norm=PAL:alsa:adevice=hw.1,0:immediatemode=0 tv:// \
-ovc x264 -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -o output.mp4 -nosound

Any ideas or better tips for capturing and encoding directly into
X.264?

Adrian