[MEncoder-users] what's better for SD 576i video - x264 or lavc libx264 ?

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 07:31:33 CEST 2010

2010/6/27 Goga777 <goga777 at bk.ru>:

>> > and what about of
>> >
>> > mencoder -o output.avi input.avi -ovc lavc vcodec=libx264
>> >
>> > does it the same as you mentioned ??
>>
>> Yes, it does the same, it invokes libx264. As I said, lavc is just a
>> wrapper around libx264. It is not a separate H.264 encoder in its own
>> right.
>>
>> Most people use "-ovc x264 -x264encopts" directly, though. Not through
>> lavc's wrapper
>
> ok, thanks. I will use -ovc x264 as you adviced
>
>> > -ovc x264 -x264encopts <your-settings> ...... -o output.avi
>> >

>> > can I use the following options as ildct iltime for -ovc lavc vcodec=libx264 ?
>>
>> No, ildct and ilme are not x264/libx264 option so if oyu use them,
>> mencoder will error out. These options belong to lavc encoders
>>
>> And why would you use them (if it was possible)? You said you're going
>> to deinterlace the content.
>
> yes, I choiced yadif (may be you will advice better deinterlacing, tfields for example ?)
>

>> These options are only for *preserving*
>> interlaced content. If you're going to deinterlace, you don't need
>> them at all
>
> thanks again for clarification.
>

> may be you will find the time to comment my profile for x264 encoding of 576i DV video
>
> [x264-1]
> profile-desc="кодирование x264 проход 1"
> ovc=x264=1
> oac=faac=1
> faacopts=br=128
> x264encopts=bitrate=2500:pass=1:log=2:psnr:ssim:slow_firstpass=1:me=umh:subq=9:trellis=1:partitions=all:8x8dct
> #qp=30 ??
> vf=yadif=1
> vf=mcdeint=1
> #vf=tfields=1
> vf=hqdn3d=2:1:2
> fps=50
> ofps=50
>
> [x264-2]
> profile-desc="кодирование x264 проход 2"
> ovc=x264=1
> oac=faac=1
> faacopts=br=128
> x264encopts=bitrate=2500:pass=2:log=2:psnr:ssim:slow_firstpass=1:me=umh:subq=9:trellis=1:partitions=all:8x8dct
> #qp=30??
> vf=yadif=1
> vf=mcdeint=1
> #vf=tfields=1
> vf=hqdn3d=2:1:2
> fps=50
> ofps=50
>
> [default]
> o=out.avi

I would suggest using crf for encoding if you don't intend to achieve
a specific file size. I do most of my SD encodes at crf 21. It not
only saves time but also it gives virtually the same quality for all
my encodes

For deinterlace, yadif will be enough. If you throw mcdeint at it,
your encoding will be slowed down by A LOT and most people can't see
the difference when using mcdeint.

tfields is a fields separator so you'll get the resolution of a field
(which will be smaller), not of the full frame