[MEncoder-users] A good compromise for deinterlacing camcorder-dv-files

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Sun Jun 27 11:48:24 CEST 2010

* Grozdan on Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 11:04:15 +0200
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Christian Ebert <blacktrash at gmx.net> wrote:
>> * Grozdan on Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 08:05:29 +0200

>>> That's because yadif=1 is a bobber which doubles the frame rate, ie it
>>> outputs one frame for each field thus doubling the fps...
>>> If you use a bobber in mencoder, you should specify both -fps and
>>> -ofps that is double of the original frame rate. So if you have 25fps
>>> interlaced content, use yadif=1 with -fps 50 and -ofps 50.
>>
>> Shouldn't that be -fps 25 -ofps 50 ? At least this worked for
>> me[tm], but perhaps mencoder just worked around my stupidity.
>
> If it works, use it. -fps 50 and -ofps 50 also works (and is highly
> recommended when using the tfields filter which is very similar to
> what yadif=1 does in the sense that it outputs for each field a frame,
> doubling the fps as yadif=1 does)

Strange. I thought -fps is the input frame rate ...

>>> As Andrew recommended, you could also use the pp=lb (linear blend)
>>> filter but personally I find it blurs too much for my taste so if I
>>> had to use a deint filter from the pp, I'd got for the pp=ci one
>>> (cubic interpolation, gives pretty sharp images after deint)
>>
>> Have to try that one. However, as _camcorder_ material often has
>> shaky images -- as opposed to industrial preprocessed dvd
>> material -- I often found the need to work around the sharpness
>> which resulted in sharp squares e.g. in areas that are mostly one
>> color but with "gradient" transitions (blue sky).
>
> There's no deshaker filter yet in mplayer so I can't help on that and
> I don't deal with shaky stuff at all

You can actually observe it with sports, or right now at the
world cup: when there is a fast pan shot the picture on HD tv is
full of (sharp) little squares -- doesn't happen on old fashioned
interlaced tv.

  Was heißt hier Dogma, ich bin Underdogma!
[ What the hell do you mean dogma, I am underdogma. ]
free movies      --->>> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/
http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/underdogma-movies/id363423596