[MEncoder-users] Arabic subtitle direction

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jun 27 10:08:22 CEST 2010

On 26 Jun 2010, at 20:47, Ahmed Shubbar wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:52:31PM +0300, Ahmed Shubbar wrote:
>>> Arabic subtitles encoded with Mencoder or viewed with Mplayer,
>>> they are
>>> rendered in the wrong direction, LTR instead of RTL. Is there a
>>> way to
>>> specify the direction?
>>
>> Links against and use fribidi.
>>

> How?
> Do I need to modify and compile mencoder anew?

I believe so. I'm not an expert on this subject, but find fribidi in
your distro's package manager, or get it from the link below, and
install it. When you recompile mplayer it should - I'm just guessing -
automagically detect it and (hopefully) display your subtitles
backwards.

$ eix fribidi
* dev-libs/fribidi
      Available versions:  0.10.7 ~0.10.9 ~0.19.1 ~0.19.2
      Homepage:            http://fribidi.org/
bidirectional algorithm

$

Stroller.