[MEncoder-users] A good compromise for deinterlacing camcorder-dv-files

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 08:05:29 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Al Bogner
<mencoder at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc> wrote:
> There are so many possibilities to deinterlace a video and most times
> deinterlacing is discussed with ripped dvds.
>
> Do you have a recommendation for camcorder-videos, captured from tape
> to dv1-format?
>
> For a first try, I used this. The source ist 720x576 interlaced, 16:9
> PAL
>
> mencoder "$FILE" -fps "$FPS" -aspect "$DAR" \
> -vf
> yadif=0,softskip,scale=1024:576,eq2=1.15,hqdn3d,unsharp=l:5x5:0.9:c:5x5:0.1
> \
> -sws 9 \
> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=ffv1 \
> -ofps "$FPS" -nosound \
> -o "$FFV1VIDEOFILE"
>
> If I use yadif=1 I get slow motion, which I found recommended somewhere.

That's because yadif=1 is a bobber which doubles the frame rate, ie it
outputs one frame for each field thus doubling the fps...
If you use a bobber in mencoder, you should specify both -fps and
-ofps that is double of the original frame rate. So if you have 25fps
interlaced content, use yadif=1 with -fps 50 and -ofps 50. If you have
29.970fps interlaced content, use yadif=1 with -fps 60000/1001 and
-ofps 60000/1001

As Andrew recommended, you could also use the pp=lb (linear blend)
filter but personally I find it blurs too much for my taste so if I
had to use a deint filter from the pp, I'd got for the pp=ci one
(cubic interpolation, gives pretty sharp images after deint)

> I could accept if the encoding lasts a little bit longer, but not 10x.

This is most likely coming from the scale filter. All other filters in
that chain will slow down encoding only a bit, but the scale filter
will have the bigger impact on slowdown