[MEncoder-users] Best way to performance an inverse telecine

U. George netbeans at gatworks.com
Sat Jun 26 16:53:22 CEST 2010

On 06/26/2010 09:35 AM, Eric Wescott wrote:
> My question is this. Is one method better than another in terms of the
> final output quality? I don't care about how the filters degrade
> encoding speed I just want the best possible quality.

I have this same issue with a canon vixia hfs100 shot at PF24. I first
used the the websites  'suggested' commercial product to do the inverse
telecine. On some files it failed. When the issue was reported to the
product owners, it appeared that they were just not interested in
resolving, unless you paid for the ( week long ) trial period. My own
experience suggested that thay were not going to fix it in time for any
near time project.

I have also tried mplayer, and mencoder:
	With mplayer, i can *visually* observe that the inverse telecine
process does appear to work. On this laptop, the playback is very slow.
There is no sound, so I cant say if its in sync either.
	With mencoder, I am having issues with how mencoder is deciphering the
avchd/h264 video ( eventually i'll get to sound ). I have no resolution
as to why yet.

If you care about your files, i would first make sure u converted PF24
to 24p - reliably. Then quality. ( keep your originals in a safe place )

After that, which is also an issue for me, be converted back into an
AVCHD/h264 format that is recognized by Sony Vegas Pro.