[MEncoder-users] mencoder -> x264 ?

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 17:58:57 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Bob Tennent <rdtennent at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I added --enable-x264 to the configure. The compilations went well
> but the
>>> linking fails:
>>
>> You should only use --enable-x264 when absolutely needed and you're
>> sure you meet all the requirements. Recommended is to not explicitly
>> use args in configure and let the configure detect stuff by itself. If
>> it can't, it can mean four things
>>
>> 1. there's a bug in configure
>> 2. your system is missing something thus it skips it
>> 3. you have it, but it's too old so configure skips it
>> 4. configure can't detect it as it's in a non-standard path (rarely
> happens)
>
> config.log says
>
> #if X264_BUILD < 98
> #error We do not support old versions of x264. Get the latest from git.
> #endif
>
> and I believe I have 92, which is the most recent packaged version
> available for my system.

Do you have any other x264 versions (incl their headers/devel files)
on your system? If so, remove them all as it can confuse configure. It
looks like it's picking an older version on your system despite you
having a newer one

>  > which gcc version are you using? gcc 4.4.0 and 4.4.1 are known to
>  > miscompile mplayer (and I think x264 too). Also make sure you install
>  > a supported yasm/nasm package
>
> Why would these affect the configuration script?

It's not about the configure script rather about your errors you posted...

> gcc-4.4.3-4.fc12.i686
> yasm-0.7.2-3.fc12.i686
> nasm-2.07-3.fc12.i686
>
>>> Are more recent versions needed?

I think yasm 0.7.x is still supported by x264