[MEncoder-users] Too many video packets in the buffer

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 04:00:49 CEST 2010

On 6/18/2010 12:08 PM, U. George wrote:
> adding -noskip gets rid of the 1 duplicate frame(s) message.

Duplicate frame messages can almost always be ignored. If you don't want
it spamming your terminal, you can use the -msglevel option (I use
all=1:statusline=5). I wouldn't recommend using -noskip unless
absolutely necessary since you waste bits encoding duplicate frames
(unless you're using an IVTC filter and all duplicate frames are handled
properly).
> I tried -demuxer help, as well as h264 and didnt get too far. where are
> demuxer types defined?

For MPEG-TS (.ts, .m2t, .mts, .m2ts), -demuxer lavf should be considered
a necessity in most cases. The lavf demuxer can make better decisions
than the default about how each stream should be played or remuxed
(frame rate, resolution, etc.) for MPEG-TS. For other container types,
the automatic choice is usually best.
> i would like to use -demuxer x264
x264 is an encoder. Demuxers separate audio/video/subtitle/other streams
so they can be processed by the appropriate decoder and what codecs were
used are irrelevant. For choosing a video decoder, use the -vc option
(though I doubt you'll find anything better than the default ffh264 in
MEncoder).