[MEncoder-users] How to add subtitles to a video?

Peter pscientist at inbox.com
Fri Jun 18 04:08:09 CEST 2010

Kasper Bonne wrote:

> If you have the .srt file just add -sub subname.srt to your mencoder
> command line. You can adjust the font with -subfont-text-scale and the
> position with -subpos.

I can see three different kinds of subtitles:

Type 1: found on the Internet, a file with ascii text and timestamps, contained
in an additional file with a .srt extension

Type 2: found on DVD's: streams of text shapes in raster graphics, interleaved
with the video, so that the player can select the stream (language) of choice
and have it overlaid over the video

Type 3: the subtitles are hard coded on top of the video, producing one simple
file with just one video stream, so that the subtitle cannot be turned off - the
subtitles become part of the video permanently

The thing is, the OP wants to turn Type 1 into Type 2, but I have a feeling that
mencoder turns Type 1 into Type 3. Am I right, or not? If I'm wrong, where is
the option to create multiple language streams from multiple .srt files?

--
Peter