[MEncoder-users] Too many video packets in the buffer

U. George netbeans at gatworks.com
Thu Jun 17 14:50:55 CEST 2010

On 06/16/2010 11:28 PM, Andrew Berg wrote:
> Are you sure your input is really 30fps? If you have 60 fps and try to
> treat it like 30,

The canon vixia camcorder cannot do 60p at 60fps.
It can do 60i, but from what I can observe its 60 fields/sec, not 60
frames/sec.
It can do "PF30", which is supposed to be 30 frames/sec of progressive
video shots.
It can do "PF24", which is supposed to be (also) 30 frames/sec. But the
input stream is 24p ( movie mode ), so its telecined 2:3 into the 30 frames.

Its ( probably ) also not 30frames/sec but rather 29.970.

This is all *NOT* documented by canon, as the official word is that this
info is not written/documented, and they are not gonna ask the
engineers/designers. Unofficially canon will point you to docs relating
to the telecine process.

Then there is Sony Vegas Pro, and the properties associated with each
video file. you can just change the properties ( progressive, upper,
lower ) at whim. Canon gives no hint if any of these properties are correct.

So AM I SURE? Not really! this is a learning process.

At this moment I am toying with a 5 second clip ( 15.7MB ) at 24.5Mbps
avchd stream.
Hopefully the inverse-telecine process by mencoder can be read by Sony
Vegas Pro. Sony Vegas gives you no hint as to why it does not like your
video file.