[MEncoder-users] intermittent encoding/playback problems with ffvhuff/huffyuv

Eric Wescott wescotte at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 02:14:28 CEST 2010

I have a significant amount (~50 hours) of HDV footage that I am
performing an inverse telecine on before I edit the footage. I've
decided to use huffy as x264 lossless is simply to slow to edit with.
However, I've run into a few strange problems with huffy that I hope you
guys can help me with.

First, here are the methods I've been using to encode my video.

mencoder Tape004-0045.m2t -fps 30000/1001 -vf
pullup,softskip,harddup,scale=1920:1080 -ofps 24000/1001 -ovc x264
-x264encopts qp=0 -demuxer lavf -oac pcm -o Tape004-0045.h264.avi

mencoder Tape004-0045.m2t  -fps 30000/1001 -vf
pullup,softskip,harddup,scale=1920:1080 -ofps 24000/1001 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=ffvhuff:aspect=16/9 -demuxer lavf -oac pcm -o
Tape004-0045.ffvhuff.avi

mencoder Tape004-0045.m2t  -fps 30000/1001 -vf
pullup,softskip,harddup,scale=1920:1080 -ofps 24000/1001 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=huffyuv:pred=2:format=422P:vstrict=-1 -demuxer lavf
-oac pcm -o Tape004-0045.huffyuv.avi

Now, there are two main problems. The first problem is artifacts during
the encoding process. x264 doesn't have these issues but both ffvhuff
and huffyuv do. It's not in every clip.. I'd say maybe 5-10% have this
issue. You can see a visual example from the following link.

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/wescott/mencoder/shot0001.png

The strange thing is generally (but not always) when huffyuv produces
this artifact ffvhuff doesn't. I've been flip flopping between the two
but there are cases where both produce the artifact. However, the
ffvhuff ones tend to be smaller is size and not last the entire duration
of the clip.

The other problem is playback in Quicktime (via Perian) doesn't always
work. Again, it's another flip flop scenerio where the ffvhuff may play
but the huffyuv won't. Again, sometimes both versions don't play. The
x264 version always seems to work but again because of performance
issues it's less than the ideal format to use. Here is a link to a test
clip that produces both of these problems.

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/wescott/mencoder/Tape004-0045.m2t

In this instance using the above method to produce an ffvhuff encoded
file doesn't play in Quicktime/Perian (but does in MPlayer) but the
huffyuv version plays via both.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Eric Wescott