[MEncoder-users] cat /dev/video0 | mencoder - ...

Bob Tennent rdtennent at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 14:32:23 CEST 2010

 >|did you try to use x264 presets with mencoder as slow , slower, very
 >|slow ?
 >|
 >|      --preset                Use a preset to select encoding settings
 >|      [medium]
 >|                                  Overridden by user settings.
 >|                                  -
 >|                                  ultrafast,superfast,veryfast,faster,fast
 >|                                  - medium,slow,slower,veryslow,placebo

Please clarify: do the settings (slow, ..., fast, ...) refer to the
desired encoding rate or to the speed of the processor? If I'm to avoid
dropping frames, I surely want one of the fast (not slow) settings,
unless the settings refer to the processor (an example of how the man
page tells you everything except the most important thing).