[MEncoder-users] dv1, dv2, raw ??

Goga777 goga777 at bk.ru
Fri Jul 30 21:29:09 CEST 2010

Hi

I'm using dvgrab for capture of video from my dv camcorder (I'm using usb port).

Which format (dv1, dv2, raw) better to use for mencoder with libx264 ?

from dvgrab manpage

 - dv1 and dv2 both are AVI files with slightly different formats.  dv2 stores a separate audio track in
  addition to the DV video track, which is more compatible with other applications.  dv1 only stores a
  single, integrated DV track since the DV format natively interleaves audio with video. Therefore, while
  dv1  produces  smaller  output, some applications won’t grok it and require dv2 instead.  dvgrab is
  capable of creating extremely large AVI files—well over 2 or 4 GB— however, compatibility with other
  tools starts to decrease over the 1 GB size.

- raw stores the data unmodified and have the .dv extension. These files are read by a
                 number of GNU/Linux tools as well as Apple Quicktime.