[MEncoder-users] Vorbis Sounds BAD.

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Fri Jul 30 16:09:32 CEST 2010

Le duodi 12 thermidor, an CCXVIII, - a écrit :
> I tried to encode some stuff the other day using Vorbis, but found the
> results to sound pretty bad for the bitrate. With FFmpeg, I find 60Kb/s more
> than enough to produce music that sounds like almost CD quality to me, but
> with mencoder, using -audiofile file.wav -oac lavc -lavcopts
> acodec=vorbis:abitrate=60   the resulting sound - well, we all know what
> happens when the bitrate is too low. Do I need to give lavc some more
> options for high quality or something? I did notice that it encodes very
> quickly, which makes me suspicious of the quality of the encode.

With ffmpeg, you are using the "libvorbis" encoder, which is a wrapper
around Xiph's libvorbisenc. With mencoder, you are using the "vorbis"
encoder, which is a native implementation in libavcodec but is rather a
proof of concept and lacks a few key features to get a good audio quality.

You could try to use acoder=libvorbis, but I believe for some reasons it
does not work even if you manage to have it built.

Encode to PCM and pipe it to oggenc.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George