[MEncoder-users] cat /dev/video0 | mencoder - ...

Bob Tennent rdtennent at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:12:59 CEST 2010

 >|I'm trying to pipe video-capture card output into mencoder as above.
 >|It works but not well (breaks up at every scene change). Is there a
 >|better way (other than saving the entire output as an mpg file and then
 >|mencoding from the file)?

I've tried

  mencoder tv:// -oac mp3lame -ovc x264  ...

and get

  TV file format detected.
  Selected driver: v4l2
  Selected device: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
   Tuner cap: STEREO LANG1 LANG2
   Tuner rxs: STEREO
   Capabilites:  video capture  VBI capture device  tuner  audio  read/write
   inputs: 0 = Tuner 1; 1 = S-Video 1; 2 = Composite 1; 3 = S-Video 2; 4 = Composite 2;
   Current input: 0
   Current format: unknown (0x4745504d)
  v4l2: current audio mode is : LANG1
  Unable to open '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory