[MEncoder-users] Transcoding DV into BluRay/PS3-compatible H.264

Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 24 13:19:00 CEST 2010

On Jul 24, 2010, at 1:14 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 04:47:30AM -0500, Andrew Berg wrote:
>>> Also, recently BluRay support was added to libx264 so I would like to whether
>>> someone can point me to a nice HowTo which describes how to use mencoder
>>> to encode and finally create a valid BluRay image to be burnt by cdrecord/growisofs.
>> MEncoder and x264 will only give you a compliant video stream. You will
>> need other tools (I think tsMuxeR will work for an AVCHD structure, but
>> I'm pretty sure you'll need something else for a fully compliant Blu-ray
>> structure).
>
> Yes, a AACS license. Unencrypted Blu-ray is not compliant, and none of the
> commercial players will play them.
> So if your goal is to make a Blu-ray that's a waste of time unless you have
> a company that you think has a chance of getting a AACS key and are willing
> to spend a few 10k dollars or so.

Yikes! Thanks for the information. I never thought I would to encrypt BluRays for
them to be compliant. So this means that all BluRay recorders and recording
software include an AACS license.

I'd rather stick to plain H.264 as suggested by the other guys. BluRay was just
meant to be an additional options.

Thanks guys!

Adrian