[MEncoder-users] Transcoding DV into BluRay/PS3-compatible H.264

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 11:47:30 CEST 2010

 On 7/24/2010 12:37 AM, Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Thus, I have around 700GB of raw DV material lying on my hard disk which
> I would like to transcode into a H.264-based format which will play back well
> on a PS3 when copied onto an external hard disk. Can anyone recommend
> the optimum parameters and options for mencoder for the encoding?
The PS3 is pretty liberal in what it can handle, so "optimum" is really
more of a preference here. If you keep reference frames at or below 9
for 720p (4 for 1080p) and the level below High at 5.0, you can set
whatever else you want. Insane settings might be a problem, but I can't
think of any other restrictions. Don't go by someone else's preset and
think that the PS3 will choke if you deviate from it.
Blu-ray, however, is much more restrictive. IIRC, x264 has or will soon
have a preset that will restrict you to Blu-ray compliant options. You
could poke around doom9 for more info. This page
<http://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray/home> looks helpful as well.
> Also, recently BluRay support was added to libx264 so I would like to whether
> someone can point me to a nice HowTo which describes how to use mencoder
> to encode and finally create a valid BluRay image to be burnt by cdrecord/growisofs.
MEncoder and x264 will only give you a compliant video stream. You will
need other tools (I think tsMuxeR will work for an AVCHD structure, but
I'm pretty sure you'll need something else for a fully compliant Blu-ray
structure).

If you are making these just for yourself, I don't recommend bothering
with Blu-ray since it's so much more restrictive than the PS3.