[MEncoder-users] Transcoding DV into BluRay/PS3-compatible H.264

Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 24 07:37:09 CEST 2010

Hi,

recently I have captured several hours of DV video (approximately 25
digital8 and video8 tapes digitized through the digital8 camcorder).

Thus, I have around 700GB of raw DV material lying on my hard disk which
I would like to transcode into a H.264-based format which will play back well
on a PS3 when copied onto an external hard disk. Can anyone recommend
the optimum parameters and options for mencoder for the encoding?

Also, recently BluRay support was added to libx264 so I would like to whether
someone can point me to a nice HowTo which describes how to use mencoder
to encode and finally create a valid BluRay image to be burnt by cdrecord/growisofs.

Since I don't own a BluRay player (yet), it's not necessary to be able to directly
encode for the BluRay format now. I was rather thinking in transcoding into
PS3-compatible H.264 and take that material some day to create BluRay images
from.

Would that be possible?

Adrian