[MEncoder-users] how to test encoded file ?

Bernd Butscheidt bbutscheidt at yahoo.de
Tue Jul 6 20:54:16 CEST 2010

----- Ursprüngliche Mail ----

Grozdan <neutrino8 at gmail.com> wrote:
Re: [MEncoder-users] how to test encoded file ?

> > So mencoder/mplayer is unmaintained?
>>
>> No, mencoder is, not mplayer
>
> can someone to explain why we have so sad situation with mencoder ?

No one really cares about it. Most devs focus on ffmpeg nowadays,
though I find ffmpeg worse than mencoder

I wasn't aware of this.

Up to now, I use broken

-of lavf -lavfopts format=matroska

for x264 encoding. The first test I do with smplayer: it doesn't play at proper frame rate (I encode to 24fps, smplayer shows 23.976 fps) but you get a good idea about the quality of the result. Remuxing the result of mencoder with mkvmerge makes up to now everybody happy: my stand alone Blue Ray Player or vlc, xine etc. ...

With enocding to the default avi format using x264 and ac3-sound I had no luck. Even remuxing with mkvmerge gave me broken files (no sound and/or distorted picture). When the result is bigger than 4 GB than even smplayer needs to index the file to start playing at all. So good and sad news in one sentence: the broken lavf muxer gives the most reliable results to me.

How will the future look like? Decoding with mplayer (to still have advantage of the filters offered and the possibility to rip subtitles) and piping the output to ffmpeg or other encoder?

Kind regards
Bernd