[MEncoder-users] Little OT: using other then default decoder with mencoder

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 18:28:34 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> belcampo wrote:
>>
>> Grozdan wrote:

>>> yes, -vc and -ac also work in mencoder. The decoder name is the same
>>> as the one printed by mplayer -vc help. For H.264 video, use
>>> -vc ffh264vdpau
>>
>> Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try.

> trying to ask a better question. The -vc ffh264vdpau isn't a solution in
> this case.
> The above mentioned problems exist on all 'ffmpeg-library-based'
> encoders/players like ffplay/vlc/mplayer. Decoding B-frames seems to be the
> problem.
> Under M$ XP using mplayer-classic which in my case can use Cyberlink
> H264/AVC decoder (PDVD7) and Arcsoft Total Media Theatre with its own
> decoder both play it fine.
> I've heard mplayer can use some Windows decoders under linux, with the
> win32-codecs package, is one of the above mentioned decoders somehow useable
> under linux ??
>
> If yes, could someone point me in the right direction ?

You can use those two:

vssh264     dshow     working   VSS H.264 New  [vsshdsd.dll]
vssh264old  vfw       working   VSS H.264 Old  [vssh264.dll]

but I have no experience with them. Only point out as they seem
supported by mplayer and are under -vc help. No idea with mencoder.
IIRC there was a patch to use mplayer with CoreAVC, but no idea if
mencoder also supports it too nor do I know what the state of that
patch is