[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 21:34:10 CEST 2010

 On 7/3/2010 8:39 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > There is defintiely reason to interlace in certain situations
>
> you are using a CRT which has the exact framerate of your material and you want
> to "double" the horizontal resolution.
For regular end-users like you and I, there is rarely reason to have
interlaced material, but for broadcasting, the standard is to have
either 60 frames per second or 60 fields per second (50 for PAL).
1080p60 uses too much bandwidth, so 1080i60 is used. 24p content can be
telecined the same way it always has. I do not know exactly why, but one
cannot broadcast 1080p30 (or 1080p25), therefore all material intended
for broadcast is either recorded interlaced or telecined. 1080p60 or
even 1080p30 would be excellent for sports, but neither can be used for
broadcast, so they record at 1080i60. It is sad that interlacing is
still used with digital TV, but there is nothing we can do about it
except use a good deinterlacer (or use IVTC as appropriate) in order to
get progressive video.