[MEncoder-users] Encoding interlaced content: what am I doing wrong?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 05:01:44 CET 2010

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:52:24 +0100
Martijn van Beurden <mvanb1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But going from MPEG-2 to MPEG-2 is losing quality too, not?

Not as much, certainly, because x264 is going to throw away different
amounts of different bits of information than lavc MPEG-2 would/does
(different quantizer).  There would be similar issues if you switched
back and forth between, say, Xvid and lavc MPEG-4 for no good reason...

> (I'm using  --crf 15) that would result in big but quite good files.

If you can live with slightly larger intermediate files, you can get
equally good, if not better quality from MPEG-2.

--
Ha. I'm the idiot.