[MEncoder-users] Encoding .3gp video with mencoder

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Jan 25 12:02:41 CET 2010

Hi Ross,

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 19:21:44 +0000, Ross Clement wrote:
> Does anyone know how to encode .3gp videos for mobile phones using mencoder?

I've done it, but without audio so far.

> I've searched online, and there are some guides for ffmpeg. However,
> they rely on ffmpeg being compiled against the amr_nb libraries. And
> the current version of ffmpeg does not have those options available
> for ./configure any more.

That's right, amr_nb and amr_wb have been replaced by
opencore-amr in ffmpeg and mplayer/mencoder:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/
Fedora has it packaged in RPMFusion.

I've managed to create a 3GP coded video for my SonyEricsson mobile
phone. Unfortunately, 3GP - or was it H.263?  - only supports peculiar
resolutions. ;-) At least not my phone's native resolution. I haven't
checked whether the phone can handle H.264 content or MP4 formats.
(Well, once source says "3GPP (H263, H264), MP4, Real8".)

Moritz