[MEncoder-users] Need help reducing 720p 60fps to 30fps or 24fps

Chris Capon ttabyss at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 18:10:33 CET 2010

On 2010-01-20 15:29, Laine Lee wrote:
> This was as close as I could get with your sample. Is there a chance that
> the recording might contain dropped frames? The parts of my results that
> seemed most jerky appeared so sporadically.
>
> mencoder [debug-sample.mpg] -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -vf
> tinterlace=4,filmdint=io=30:24/fast=0,softskip,harddup -noskip  -fps
> 60000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001 -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:muxrate=40000 -af
> lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vstrict=0:aspect=16/9:a
> codec=ac3:abitrate=384:keyint=15:trell:mbd=2:vbitrate=6000 -srate 48000 -o
> [debug-sample_done.mpg]
>
> Laine Lee

Laine, thanks for going above and beyond again.  I appreciate it.  The
tinterlace=4 setting does seem to give the best results so far and I'll
go with these settings.

The sporadic motion is still coming from the few frames which have
interlace artifacts.  They break the 3:2 pattern on an irregular basis
and I think filmdint doesn't have a way to handle them.  I hoped there
were other tricks for dealing with poorly deinterlaced progressive video.

There probably aren't any dropped frames in this clip.  It comes from a
digital TV broadcast and I would expect transmission errors to show up
as decoding errors on the MPEG-TS container.  It is more likely the
interlace artifacts are a result of how the original film was prepared
for broadcast.

Again, thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Chris.