[MEncoder-users] Need help reducing 720p 60fps to 30fps or 24fps

Chris Capon ttabyss at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:36:28 CET 2010

On 2010-01-17 09:43, Andrew Berg wrote:
> On 1/16/2010 11:36 AM, Chris Capon wrote:
>
>> If anyone has time, I'd appreciate some help with a movie clip.  It was
>> broadcast at 720p 60fps (ATSC) but looks like the original was telecine'd.
>>
> Add -fps 60000/1001 -ofps 30000/1001 to your commandline and add
> filmdint=io=60:30 to the beginning of your filter chain. I use it when
> converting to x264 while keeping it progressive; you may need to do
> other things to make it work in DVD format.

filmdint=io=60:30 is showing the same irregular motion as
filmdint=io=60:24 .

filmdint may be having trouble with the way the original was telecined.
The frames are progressive, but they must have come from an interlaced
source at some point because some of the frames have interlace
artifacts.  The video has a repeating pattern of 3:2:3:2... but after
about 15 iterations there are a short series of frames with blurred
interlacing that breaks the pattern.  In the encoded video they cause
the motion to stutter slightly.

I wondered about maybe converting the progressive frames back to
interlaced first with something like tfields, then feeding it through
filmdint but haven't found a combination that works yet.

Thanks,
Chris.