[MEncoder-users] mkv to hard sub avi to m4v command line options and sync problems

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 18:41:44 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM, v4r4n <console.cowboy at gmail.com> wrote:

> $> mencoder -sid 0 -oac pcm -aid 0 -aid 0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=4:mbd=2:trell:mv0:v4mv -o output.avi input.mkv
>
> Actually solves the visual artifacts and video quality problems, and gives
> me a 'good enough' .avi to feed Handbrake.

Encoding here then re-encoding with handbrake is just plain silly.

Remember in my first message where I said:
For hardcoding in subtitles, well, that pretty much means having to
remux the video, and that always results in a loss of video quality.
That's just the way it is.  You can minimize it, but not eliminate it.

Well, passing the handbrake is (I'm guessing anyway), doing another
remux of the video which results in lower quality again.

Every time you pass through tools like this, you're probably going to
end up losing quality.  You'll be much better off, quality wise, if
you take the time to learn how to use just one tool.

mrc