[MEncoder-users] mkv to hard sub avi to m4v command line options and sync problems

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 17 14:17:06 CET 2010

v4r4n wrote:
> $> mencoder -oac copy -ovc raw -sub subtitles.srt -sub-bg-alpha 255 -utf8 -o
> output.srt.avi input.avi
>
> to make a large raw with baked subtitles, then Handbrake to re-encode that
> into an iPod .m4v file.  This works well enough, but the original visual
> artifacts that I saw in the raw are still there.

I'm not sure how you could expect it to be otherwise. That command line
leads me to believe the artifacts are part of the original .mkv file,
since raw would not add any artifacts of it's own. The only suggestion I
could make is that you might want to try some deblocking/denoising
filtering on the video - you will destroy some detail but you will
reduce the artifacts, making the final video more "compressible".