[MEncoder-users] mkv to hard sub avi to m4v command line options and sync problems

v4r4n console.cowboy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:00:57 CET 2010

When I open the .mkv file with Handbrake it doesn't detect any subtitles and
I haven't been able to successfully load any sort of subtitle file with
Handbrake.  I haven't posted anything to the Handbrake forums because I
thought MEncoder would address the problem more directly.

For the record
$> mencoder inputfile -ovc copy -oac copy -audiofile audio.aac -o output.avi
doesn't work or do anything.

$> mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -audiofile audio.aac -o output.avi
<filename>.mkv
results in an .avi file that is 1MB greater than the audio.aac file and is
blank/silent/broken when played with Ubuntu's Movie Player.

$> mencoder -ovc copy -oac pcm -audiofile audio.aac -o output.avi
<filename>.mkv
results in an .avi file that is twice the MB of the audio.aac file.

What are the correct AAC options for MEncoder?