[MEncoder-users] Need help fixing/decoding a recovered h264 file

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Feb 26 19:38:09 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 08:29:10AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> This seems to show that I have at least one page of data that is incorrect.

More precisely you are missing about 288 kB of the header, more specifically
almost all of the index (at offset 0x8000 there is the mdat atom, that one is
supposed to be at offset 0x50000).
I am not aware of a way that would allow recovering
mov files without a index - which is why I always considered it a really bad
format, it is very brittle without being very compact.

> I suppose fixing it from here would not be trivial :-/

Well, the obvious question is: have you tried those undelete tools for FAT?
FAT contains a lot of redundant information and thus usually allows for rather
good recovery of "lost" data.