[MEncoder-users] Need help fixing/decoding a recovered h264 file

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 08:59:47 CET 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:49:16 -0800
Marc MERLIN <marc_mplayer at merlins.org> wrote:

> The problem is that the file I recovered isn't quite playable and I
> don't know h264/avc1 file formats well enough to see if there is an
> easy fix or if my file is just hosed and gone.
> I actually tried to take the h264 file header from the good file shown
> below and attach the possibly broken file to that, but didn't get far
> since I just don't know the h264 headers.

Unless they were intended for streaming, MP4/MOV files default to having
the index at the END of the file, NOT the start.  What you may need to
do is trucate it until you find approximately the right file length.
Looking at the bits at the end of a working MP4 will probably help.

For a less clumsy undelete option, try PhotoRec:
www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

--
Ha. I'm the idiot.