[MEncoder-users] Dolby downmix

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 28 03:25:47 CET 2010

Rolf Ernst <rolf.ernst <at> silverlightning.org> writes:

> This is the command line I have seen that supposedly dumps the audio via
> filter as Dolby surround into a wav file. Is this true?

(Re-reading this sentence makes me think you may not want a two-channel pcm wav
file as result, but something else. In this case, please ignore the rest of my
mail, because I don't understand you. Instead try to explain what you want to
achieve.)

> mplayer inputfile -channels 6 -af channels=2 -vc null -vo null -ao
> pcm:fast:file=audio.wav

I suspect the reason for not using "-channels 2" instead of "-channels 6 -af
channels=2" would be to hope that the filter does anything smart but the mplayer
manual clearly mentions that the superfluous channels are just truncated.

A simpler method is to use:
ffmpeg -i inputfile -ac 2 audio.wav

Why aren't you posting on mplayer-users?

Carl Eugen