[MEncoder-users] improve saa7134 TV-card stream recording

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 28 00:27:16 CET 2010

Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This is my line. I'm no video pro, just a home recorder, so please don't be
> too excited. This line is result of lots of trials and errors. There's
> likely a lot to be optimized here.
>
> mencoder -tv
> driver=v4l2:fps=29.97:

The OP was using norm=PAL so this frame-rate is not useful for him.

[...]

> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg:vbitrate=2000:mbd=1

Any reason you are using mjpeg? It typically should lead to huge files and/or
worse quality than mpeg4 ...
(Does vbitrate really work with mjpeg? I don't know.)

> -vf pp=lb

This is almost never correct: In my case (PAL), the input is either progressive
(then lb hurts quality) or interlaced (then yadif is always better), I suspect
in your case, it might be telecined, in which case better filters exist afaik.

Carl Eugen